I LOVE training workshops! Call me a nerd, but I love to go and learn about procedures and other people perspectives on performing various functions. Today and yesterday I had the opportunity, through work, to go through a training workshop called "Supervisor Basics". While on paper I'm not anybody's actual supervisor I have been wanting to take this class for YEARS and just haven't have the opportunity to do it. There's always been a problem with having someone scheduled for the front desk, all the other managers being out of town on those dates, or something of similar natures that would prevent me from partaking of the desired training. This week was not the case!
Posted by
Falling Stars
I love my job, but for the past few months I've been very frustrated with some of the situations going on at work. I haven't felt like I've had the necessary know-how to deal with the issues at hand or the resources to take any actions I wondered may be necessary. After this workshop I have learned so much! I gained a lot of insights which motivate me to take what I can into my own hands. I am not afraid to deal with the situations present, and I have more skills to do so. I have also felt an increase in love for my job, my co-workers, the people we serve, and the mission of Brigham Young University, as well as the mission statement of Student Family Housing. I've been so frustrated lately that I've been using the mission statements as more of a weapon than guidelines to live by. For example, the housing mission statement is as follows:
"We enable individuals to live, learn, work, and grow in gospel-centered communities."
My frustrations want me to shout the words "work and grow" at the tenants! Often times they seem like they refuse to let us help them and the can't seem to help themselves. Today has reminded me that I am still a 'teacher' of sorts at BYU, as employees are admonished to do more than just go through the motions of work, but I can do more to teach than angrily force my ideals on those I feel are lacking.
If I pay attention to the mission of BYU, I can read that the mission of Brigham Young University is "to assist individuals in their quest for perfection and eternal life." (the full mission statement can be found here: http://unicomm.byu.edu/president/missionstatement.aspx) When I remember that this is the purpose of my being here, I understand better what I should be for the employees which I help to hire. I have the responsibility of drawing out the best in others.
I was also reminded that, as a participant in the hiring process, I am responsible for more than just hiring the best employees for the department. I am responsible for hiring someone who is a good fit for the University. That helps a lot in developing the ideas I have of what needs to happen in my workplace. It's not just whether or not someone is underperforming or performing as expected. It is about whether the person hired really has the values that a University employee should have. If they don't and they don't want to get them... then there is a choice to make.
Overall, I feel very uplifted and have had many of my responsibilities clarified. I am grateful that I understand better what my place is in this organization and I hope that I will be able to develop plans which will help my co-workers to feel this way also.
Oh, I forgot the best part: They fed us at the training meetings.

0 comments:
Post a Comment