Falling Stars

Musings of a Wandering Soul

So, I was pondering my progress in my tap class yesterday. I still feel like I am floundering on a rather frequent basis, but I am doing better. We are learning a new dance and I know what all of the steps are and have a decent grasp on the timing, though I can't quite do them yet. When the class first began I was SO LOST and behind pretty much the entire time, and then things started to click a bit more. My feet are faster and I'm finally beginning to understand the composition steps that I didn't know before. I still can't do all of the warm-ups and my memory is awful, but again--it's getting better. Others that began the class with me quit, though for some it was to move up a level because our class was too easy, and now I get more individual help because I feel like I am less of an imposition when I ask for aid. I am glad I refused to give up when I 'knew' I probably should.


That wasn't the whole of my though process, though. What I was really thinking was how I have come SO far from what I was able to do (dance-wise) before coming to Utah and BYU. I have learned new styles of dance and pushed myself to become better at the ones I have already done before. I am far from the same dancer I was before and am much more self-aware. All of the stress and the tears is worth it. If I went back now I would be on a completely different level! There are many I will probably never catch up with, but if I had not been struggling I would not be what I am now. I am glad that I am no longer the same dancer I was before. I have better poise, a better sense of timing, and I have the fact that I have not given up. Others that began the class with me quit, though for some it was to move up a level because our class was too easy, and now I get more individual help because I feel like I am less of an imposition when I ask for aid. I am glad I refused to give up when I 'knew' I probably should. Not giving up is always worth it, to me, in the end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
There's a lot about me that I could babble, but so much more that I don't even know is there. I guess we'll figure out who I am together!

Followers