"...patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!" --Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Continue in Patience
That talk was greatly beneficial to me by the way. As a beginning practice in greater patience I am no sucking on a fruit snack without chewing on it. This one is down to about 40%. I have had several previous failed attempts.
**10 Minute Update: Success Achieved! Now to try again :-= Really, though, it made sense to me when Pres. Uchtdorf said that those who have patience can have hope. I know that if I am used to having everything in the moment that I want it I become anxious where there is the slightest hitch in any of my plans. Anxiety does not frequently equate to hope, but rather a lack thereof--anxious individuals forget that something which does not come immediately may still come, even if it is not on their timeline. When I truly am in a state where I grasp the principle of patience, I understand that truth. I am able to wait for things, to persevere in my struggles, because I know that life unfolds on its own, whether we beckon it to move along or not--but simply waiting for life to happen can cause anxiety. We must be industrious to be able to grasp true patience. For example, there have been times that I've expected a phone call and it seemed to never come. I can sit there and do nothing or I can go about other tasks while I am waiting or call the person myself if the situation permits. If I do nothing I become unable to do other things and the time I wait seems to go on forever. If I am productive then the time which passes will go by quickly and I will have accomplished much in the meantime.
As President Uchtdorf spoke about his scholarly endeavors in his youth, I connected immediately with his words. I have several classes which I am struggling in, and I see everyone else doing better, moving faster and more efficiently, and understanding quickly. To some of us it is not given to understand things with the same speed as others. It takes more work and it takes more time. It takes patience, but with true patience, achievement will come. I may eventually become one of the best, or I may merely become proficient, but I will have accomplished more than if I had given up.

0 comments:
Post a Comment