President Joseph F. Smith said: “All that we have comes from [God]. . . . In and of ourselves we are but a lifeless lump of clay. Life, intelligence, wisdom, judgment, power to reason, all are the gifts of God to the children of men. He gives us our physical strength as well as our mental powers. . . . We should honor God with our intelligence, with our strength, with our understanding, with our wisdom, and with all the power that we possess. We should seek to do good in the world. This is our duty.”
It is easy, in this day and age, to feel confused about your place in the world. We want to ask God what we should do in all things, or we think that there is a specific duty which we have to perform. For some that may be true--there are people for which a certain path is selected, should they choose to follow that path. However, for many of us we must simply fulfill our duty to God. I think that means we get to decide how we accomplish that. There is a lot of pressure to get an education, to obtain a certain type of job, or to be the perfect stay-at-home Super Mom who can get the kids where they need to go, teach them the gospel, make home-made meals nightly in your spotless kitchen, do crafts, and feed the hungry, all in pearls and high-heels. While I would like to accomplish much of the above, I need to remember that I don't need to be perfect, I just need to do all that I can. If imperfect is the best I can do after all of my efforts then sometimes that just needs to be enough; but for imperfect to be enough there needs to have been real effort behind it. Again, it is up to us, for the most part, to decide how to best fulfill our duty using our intelligence, our wisdom, our strength, understanding, and power, not someone else's, not using the world's. We choose and then consult with our Father in Heaven, keeping our mind and heart open to inspiration and change. If we are doing good, constantly seeking, striving, and desiring to do what is right, we are off to a proper start. Not all of us will know our path with the clarity that others do. While we should not wander aimlessly about our entire lives, if we are making a positive difference in the world around us then and we can feel good about where we are at while we are there, regardless of our other aspirations, then I believe we are doing our duty.

0 comments:
Post a Comment