At work today I was reminded just how rich a heritage I am part of as a member of the Brigham Young University staff. In the basements of South Wymount we found a large quantity of church materials--photos, flannel boards, music tapes and filmstrips, OLD ward scrapbooks, and ward ledgers.. As I was flipping through the ledger trying to see if there are any names of people I might be related to I randomly turned to a page of historical events from 1975. In the section for May it says, "Y Day activities were extremely impressive this year. It started off with a wonderful breakfast held in the quad, to which we were awaken[ed] by the sound of a trumpet. After eating our fill of pancakes and eggs, the Elders proceeded to Pres. Booth's home, where we p[er]formed a service project. We poured a patio, constructed a fence, and prepared the backyard fo[r] planting. Upon returning to the quad, everyone enjoyed a waterfight that even the rain was unable to halt."
For anyone unfamiliar with Y Days (as I was until I heard about it for the first time this year), Y Days was established in 1906, over 100 years ago! They began when they Y (In Provo, UT) was built and whitewashed for the first time. Year after year the students, faculty, and staff would trek to the Y and whitewash it again to show their loyaly to Brigham Young University. In 1957 Y Days morphed to become so much more than just whitewashing a letter on a hill. Members of the BYU community were encouraged to serve in their communities, building things, cleaning local parks, helping the widows--and Y Days are still here today! What an amazing opportunity to serve and be part of such a great legacy of service and love! I was touched by the tradition because there are so few traditions which I practice in my life, and something inside of me craves to be a part of something more than myself, something that is so special it will stand the test of time. I was touched that in a time when our modern citizens might say the people had so little in material wealth the community continued to build itself up and touch the lives of those around them. They had a sense of unity and love that we often lack in today's world. I missed the opportunity to participate at the last one because I let myself get distracted, but I will be sure to be involved for the next set!
http://lib.byu.edu/sites/byuhistory/2008/10/15/y-days/
Posted by
Falling Stars

0 comments:
Post a Comment