Falling Stars

Musings of a Wandering Soul

SO, I just noticed a theme regarding Disney Princess that's pretty obvious, but somehow I didn't make the connection before:  Why don't these girls usually have mothers/strong mother figures? Let us examine the following:

Ariel's Mother:  Dead.  You don't even see her until the 3rd film, I hear.
Aurora's Mother:  She's fine, I suppose, but you don't really see her doing much to teach her daughter about the world around her.  Instead she hides her daughter in a forest... but at least she's trying to do something good for the girl.
Belle's Mother:  Dead.
Cinderella's Mother:  Real Mother Dead.  Step-mother:  Not even her real mother, and a money-grubbing witch.  The Fairy Godmother gives her pretty clothes and transportation, so that's nice.  Nice that something good came out of the situation and the minimal relationship.
Princess Jasmine's:  Dead.
Mulan's:  Not dead, wants what's best for the family, but not very present... but that is probably just a cultural portrayal.  Grandma was pretty cool, though.
Pocahontas:  How much do we even know about her mother?  Is she dead as well?  I suppose she has Grandmother Willow to give her vague but well-meaning advice.  At least Grandmother willow doesn't lock her up, put her down, or try to kill her.
Rapunzel:  Kidnapped at a young age, thus estranged to her birth mother, by an evil and vain HAG who regularly devalues her opinions, stifles her dreams, and keeps her locked in a tower then subsequently chases her down (when Rapunzel finally goes to follow her dreams) and tries to kidnap her again.
Snow White's:  Narcissistic, and tries to kill her multiple times because Snow is just too pretty.
Tiana's Mother:  Not evil but, from what I recall, not exactly supportive of her dreams, either.

In a world where families are falling apart, shouldn't family oriented Disney show our children a GOOD example of a mother once in a while?  That would be super.  Less of these television shows where the mothers are selfish, conniving, ditzy, silly, or just plain incompetent would be helpful.  We don't need society to undermine the roles of women and mothers any more than it already does.  We know mom's aren't perfect all the time, and can sometimes do crazy things.  Yes, mom's love to laugh and have fun... but sometimes the media portrays these things in a negative and confusing light.  I am glad that there are gospel principles to help guide me towards being the best mother I can.  I am equally grateful for the the women in my life who have supported me and shown me what being a strong, sincere, and faithful woman can do to uplift those around her and strengthen the bonds within her own home and family.

3 comments:

That is very interesting...
I've never thought about it before.

How about Merida's mom in Brave? She makes mistakes, and is not exactly human for the whole thing, but I'd count her as a positive mother role model. Although technically that's Pixar (but which is still Disney too).

Yay, for Brave (which I didn't see until December 2012)! This is an example of a mother who is not perfect, like most parents, but she does try. She is eventually able to connect with her child and enjoy life with her daughter, and does what she can to protect Merida while allowing(or being forced to because the mother is a bear and can't fix things herself) her to grow into her future roles. Finally, a real, living, and involved mother who believes her daughter can accomplish what she sets her mind to. :) Just because a parent and child don't always see eye-to-eye does not mean that the mother is a bad role-model.

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
There's a lot about me that I could babble, but so much more that I don't even know is there. I guess we'll figure out who I am together!

Followers